August 16, 2012

My iPhone killer - Google's Nexus7 is my new favorite gadget

People who know me tend to think that I am an Apple-Fan-Boy, which I would not consider my self, but I have to admit that the simplicity and product strategy in the recent years impressed & inspired me.

Nevertheless I was always critical (and actually increasing critical) about the slow innovation (actually NO innovation) we have seen in the Apple announcements the recent years (excluding the iPad 1).

But I had always to argue that there is NO other product from any other company (nor the Palm Pre or any Android product) that came close to the product experience the Apple packages (hardware & software) provided constantly.

Until NOW :)
I finally have a product that is actually BETTER then all my other Apple products in house, which is an iPhone 4S, an iPad one and a Samsung Galaxy SII. Before you start now, yaya, I know S3 and iPhone 5, but I am absolutely confident that I will NOT change my mind about this new gadget and its No1 status for me in 2012 :)

What is it? Well the well-known (but only in US and UK available) Google Nexus 7 tablet. A 7 inch tablet with wifi-only running on Android Jelly Bean (4.1) and providing the perfect experience for a one-handed reading and consuming need.

Isn't that just a big smartphone? No, it is rather a digital version of a book with the full load and speed a digital service should habe. Tremendous speed by opening and scrolling websites, switching apps and running audio or video makes the consumption experience much more rich then with a tiny little smartphone.

But isn't it then some sort of iPad? No, it is a "mobile" device because I can pack into my pocket, carry it around easily and love to use it combined with a smartphone via blutooth tethering. Yes, it does not have a 3G module, but because it is NOT a phone, I am anyway carrying a smartphone for tethering. It is a perfect size to snack content on the go and is less a couch device then the iPad, which stays permanently on my couch.

Additionally the OS now is the first time beating the iOS with providing speed, smoothness, design and functionality by far and is the first OS tailored for tablet - really well done Google.

Not convinced? Well besides the always "winning" tests you can find by current unboxing tests etc. it has one character that is almost not possible to beat: it is only 199 ($ or €) for the small version (8GB, not recommended, too small) and 249 for the 16 GB version. Yes, you can get two Nexus for one iPad and almost 3 Nexus for an iPhone.

Yes, this is MUST BUY call, a NO brainer so to say :-) Go get it ;)

You are german and cannot wait? Holger posted a really good explanation how to get it and which I followed completely :)

No comments:

Post a Comment